Social studies online
Who is the social studies course for?
The online social studies course is designed for adult immigrants and expats in Norway who are required to complete a certain amount of hours of Norwegian language training and social studies according to the Integration Act. This training can only be taken with an approved course provider, such as Lingu.
This course is also highly suitable if you have the right (“rett og plikt”) to a free course at your local municipality, but would prefer to take the course in a flexible online setting rather than attend traditional classroom lessons.
In short, this course is suited for you if you intend to apply for permanent residency or citizenship in Norway
Brief summary of regulations
- If you arrived in Norway or received your visa AFTER 01.01.2021 you should take the 75 hour Social Studies course, within one year after your arrival
- If you are considering applying for permanent residence or citizenship in Norway, you will need to show proof of completed course as part of your application.
- If you arrived in Norway/ received your first visa BEFORE 01.01.2021 you only need 50 hours Social Study. You can take this shorter course online with Lingu.
The social studies course multiple subjects organized in 3 modules as defined by the official curriculum. Each with 25 hours split over 10 chapters.
- Module 1 - Education, Work and Qualification
- Module 2 - Health, Family and Everyday Life
- Module 3 - Norway, Then and Now
As a participant on this course, you will gain
- Knowledge about essential historical, social, economic, cultural, political events, institutions and recent developments, and the ability to express this knowledge.
- Knowledge about your own rights, opportunities and duties within the Norwegian society and legal system and the ability to use this knowledge in your everyday life
- Ability to reflect upon and discuss basic values and challenges in the Norwegian society related to democracy, equality and human rights, as well as experience in expressing own opinions on these matters.
How does the course programme work?
The course in social studies combines several different learning methods. You will watch video lessons, and work independently with interactive exercises, read, listen, take quizzes and you will participate in instructor-led classes conducted in a virtual classroom.
It is possible to take all 3 modules at the same time, or stagger them over a semester. The earliest you can complete the course will be 10 weeks after starting the course.
In order to pass the course and receive the certificate, you need to achieve the following criteria:
- Participate a minimum of 6 meetings in the virtual classroom
- Submit all required essays
- Complete all lessons
- Pass the test at the end of the course
The learning platform will closely track your work and attendance during the course and this usually updates within a 48 hour window after the class you attended ends. The virtual classroom lessons are held in the evening.
- The course will be lead in English, and all participants must understand and speak English at an intermediate (B1) level or higher.
- You need a headset with microphone in order to attend classes the virtual classroom
Lingu is accredited by HK-dir. This means that the course certificate you get at the end of the course will be valid documentation of your social studies training. The certificate will contain the number of hours you have attended, limited to the licence you chose (50 or 75 hours).