Permanent residence in Norway - new requirements
Norwegian immigration authorities (UDI) has recently updated the requirements to apply for permanent residence in Norway.
If you submit your application for a permanent residence permit to the police 1 September 2017 or later, you must have had your own income and cannot have received social security benefits during the last 12 months.
This requirement adds to the existing requirements for permanent residence:
- Have stayed in Norway for at least 3 years more or less continually
- Not committed a serious crime while in Norway.
- Complete 250 hours in Norwegian language (online or in classroom courses)
- Score A1 on the oral language test (does not apply to skilled workers)
- Complete 50 hours of social studies
- Pass the social studies test (in whichever language you choose)
If you are short on time and need to finish the required social studies course, you can opt for our fast-track option and complete 50 hours of social studies in only 2 weeks.
Guide to permanent residence
Immigration is a complex field, and lots of regulations depend on your citizenship and when you came to Norway. So our best recommendation is to use UDI's guide to permanent residence to see which requirements apply to you.
Har du lyst til å lære mer norsk?
Meld deg på i dag og lær norsk på nettet med vårt spillbaserte språkkurs «Samanehs reise», fra nybegynnernivå til flytende nivå!Fra 790 kr per måned